The personal safety and health of each employee at Persimmon Contracting, employees of our sub-contractors, and the public is of primary importance to us. The prevention of occupationally induced injuries and illnesses is of such consequence that it is given priority over operating and productivity where necessary.
At Persimmon, our objective is a safety and health program surpassing the best practices of operations similar to ours. Our goal is zero accidents and injuries.
This is reflected in our WCB experience rating and involvement in the Partnerships in Injury Reduction (PIR). Based on our performance to date, Persimmon Contracting Ltd.’s projected 2010 PIR discount is 20% (MILR – Maintaining Industry Leadership). Currently, our WCB Experience Rate discount is 8.37% below the Interior Commercial Renovation rate.
Safe Work Practices
At Persimmon, our safe work practices include (but are not limited to):
- Providing mechanical and physical safeguards to the maximum extent possible
- Conducting a program of safety and health inspections to find and eliminate unsafe working conditions
- Training personnel with the necessary personal protective equipment and instructions for the use and care of this equipment
- Mandatory project start up meetings, toolbox sessions, hazard assessments and site inspections
- Staff trained in health and safety courses (including, but not limited to):
- Development and enforcement of safety and health rules
- Investigating every incident promptly and thoroughly — correcting problems to prevent re-occurrence
- Detailed safety record for tracking of previous incidents and resolutions